Seems like the weekend has flown by although I now have a basic grasp of how WordPress websites hang together and have this website to prove it. That said, I know I have only just scratched the surface – I’ve glimpsed the code and I ain’t getting excited!
Putting my camera aside, my learning
ordeal opportunity started on Friday evening by scanning the Internet for the best WordPress themes available. Alas, in my impatience, I mistakenly purchased a theme far too advanced for me named Ultimatum (http://ultimatumtheme.com/) BTW, it’s a great WordPress theme if you’re great! It took me more time than I like to admit to get precisely nowhere. After much frustrated cussing, I ventured back to my favoured search engine to find a more basic theme. Second time lucky, I struck upon ‘Glare’ from cssigniter (http://www.cssigniter.com). With it’s uploadable demo website and basic instructions I was able to begin understanding how templates, styles and pages work together.
Hope you enjoy looking around my first WordPress website, now I need to make some images and write an about me page to do this site some justice 🙂
techie useful bit, if you are thinking of using this theme and have a little working understanding of WordPress.
1. Size your images to the following dimensions @ 72 pixels per inch
2. Upload the gallery featured/header images separately and before attaching otherwise they become an image in the gallery itself.
3. Upload the gallery images only as part of creating a gallery – read this somewhere and stuck to it.
4. Sometimes it’s necessary to delete the images from the gallery page or you will get duplicates – some clever templating stuff going on here that is beyond me.
5. I think I have introduced a bug by messing around. Anyhow, when creating a new gallery I do not tick the box labelled “Disable the internal slider for this Gallery…” otherwise the images do not appear. Tick this box after saving, if you want to see individual images rather than a slideshow.
6. To show a different header image in each gallery, you need to modify the code in the file “inc_hero.php”
That’s about it for now although I haven’t worked out what the dimensions of the featured image should be for this post or for the header for the main blog page… I think it’s time to explore cssignte’s support forum!
*Update: support came straight back with answer to my missing blog header.
Very simple, just needed to assign a header image in ‘CSSIgniter settings -> display options’.
Here are some more customisations that can be added to ‘CSSIgniter settings -> Custom CSS’:
*Update: support again replied promptly when I found a seemingly blank image in one of the galleries.
They identified a corrupt image and provided simple directions on how to remove. I also learned something new, it is extremely easy to re-order the position of images in each gallery; here’s the instructions
To reorder or add/remove images: